Wanasek and Smale earn top honors in statewide journalism contest
Students at West Bend East and West High took home seven awards in the 2014 NEWSPA contest for student journalism.
The Northeastern Wisconsin Scholastic Press Association gave blue ribbon honors to Natalie Wanasek for her academic news writing and to Mike Smale for his feature photography. Smale led all staff members with three prizes. All awards were given to The West Bend Current, the news blog advised by Eric Beltmann.
- Natalie Wanasek, East senior, earned first place for Academic News Writing for “Say Goodbye to Exam Exemptions.”
- Mike Smale, East junior, was awarded first place in the Feature Photography category for a picture that accompanied his story “Science Will Knock You Out.”
- Smale also won second place in the Feature Writing category for “Science Will Knock You Out,” and third place for General News Writing for “A Hairy Situation.”
- Miranda Paikowski, East sophomore, took second place for her editorial “Greener on the Other Side.”
- Trina La Susa, East senior, was given third place in the Sports News Writing category for her article “Big Change Proposed for Athletics.”
- Holly Williams, East senior, earned third place in the News Photography category for a picture posted with her story “It’s Hard to See Him Go.”
The Current competed in the large school division of the NEWSPA contest. Judges included Isral DeBruin of EdTogether; Amber Paluch of Green Bay Press-Gazette; Dan Kohn of Appleton Post-Crescent; Judy Russell, retired from The Oshkosh Northwestern; Gary Coll, Professor Emeritus at UW-Oshkosh; and the Photo Club at UW-Oshkosh.
4 responses to “Tooting Our Own Horn: NEWSPA Awards 2014”
Congratulations to a great blog with a wonderful staff!
Felicitaciones!! Smale no nos compartio en clase – el es animal!!!
Wow! super work. Congratulations.
Congrats! I fondly remember my time as reporter and co-editor of my school newspaper when I was in high school. Good times!